Results of the Annual Short Story Competition 2015.
FIrst: Cathy Marshall (Winner of the Francis Bond Trophy) * Second: Ron Hancock * Third: Pam Schofield * Runners-up: Cara van Heerden; Andrea Ward; Evan Kaplan; Chantelle Sieling; Ronel van Vuuren
ANNUAL SHORT STORY COMPETITION 2016
Rules and Guidelines
PLEASE NOTE: e-mail entries ONLY
GENRE: Short Story (fiction only)
WORD COUNT: 3000 words
CLOSING DATE: 30 September Annually
FEE: The entry fee is R60 for members and R100 for non-members. A critique is included in your payment. You may submit more than one entry, each with the prescribed fee/s. Please note payment made by cheque has a surcharge of R15 to cover the additional fees we are charged.
1) All competition submissions must be in English.
2) Entries may not exceed 3000 words.
3) Entries must not have been previously published nor been placed in any competitions.
4) The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entertained.
5) Entries will be judged on literary merit, use of imagination and ability to enthrall.
6) Entries must be double spaced.
7) Provide a cover page for your entry. This must contain the title of the work, your pseudonym, and the number of words. The author’s actual name or address must not appear on the cover page or anywhere in the submitted work. Your name should only appear on the entry form (see below).
8) Attach an entry form with each entry.
10) All entries must be e-mailed to the competitions manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
11) Payment: EFT payments or direct deposits only. EFT payments must include a reference (minimum of the first three letters of your surname plus your first initial and AC (for example, SoaJ-AC). A copy of the deposit slip/EFT payment or emailed notification must accompany each entry.
SA Writers’ Circle, Standard Bank, Current Account, Hillcrest Branch: 045726,
Account Number: 250780119
Winners will be announced on the website, Facebook, Twitter and in the SAWC Newsletter. Prizewinners will receive their prizes at the SAWC Annual Awards Lunch 2015.
1st PRIZE — The Francis Bond Trophy, R1 000, your story published in the SAWC Newsletter, Write Now!, SAWC pen
2nd PRIZE — R500, SAWC pen and a trophy
3rd PRIZE — R250, SAWC pen and a trophy
5 HIGHLY COMMENDED ENTRIES — SAWC pen and a trophy
In case you missed it, click here for your competition entry form.