Submission rules and guidelines
1.Only e-mail entries will be accepted.
2. Entry fees are R35 per entry. Add R15.00 per entry if paying cash to cover bank charges. You may submit more than one entry.
3. Members, who do not win a prize in a particular competition, may re-enter their work, amended if necessary, in a subsequent competition.
4. Competitions are open to members of the Circle only and entries must be their own work.
5. A story, poem, article or script, which has been published in a commercial magazine or in an anthology, bearing an ISBN, or has won a prize in a competition, may not be entered.
6.The prize money is: First – R100, Second – R75, and Third – R50 (unless otherwise determined by the SAWC).
7. Should your entry be placed, please notify the Competitions Manager of your banking details. Please note that the SAWC does not have the capacity to retain banking details.
8. Points are awarded as follows: 1st – 5; 2nd – 4; 3rd — 3; and Highly Commended – 2. these points are added together over the year and awards are made to the persons receiving the highest total.
9. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
10. Entries will be judged on literary merit, creative imagination and ability to enthral. However, many good short stories are let down by poor formatting. For tips on proper manuscript formatting we suggest you read the following: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
11. All competition entries must be in English.
12. Please note that with regard to requirements:
story means a fiction story
article means non-fiction, and
if anything else is required it will be specified.
13. Please email your entry to the Competitions Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. Entries must consist of the following documentation as SEPARATE ATTACHMENTS:
*Proof of payment
15. If proof of payment is sent via email by the bank, please have it forwarded to email@example.com.
16. Proof of payment must include a reference (at least the first 3 letters of your surname plus first initial and the month of entry, for example, SoaJ-Feb).
• Banking details are as follows:
SA Writers’ Circle
Hillcrest branch: 045726
Account number: 250780119.
SAWC Competition Presentation
1.The title of the work, the pseudonym and the number of words must appear in the centre at the top of the first page as follows:
The Title of the Story
No cover page is required.
2.Type using one and a half or double spacing.
3.A competition entry form must accompany each submission.
4.Keep a copy of all material sent.
• Entry fee is now R35 per entry, unless otherwise specified. If, instead of paying by EFT, you are paying by direct cash deposit, please add an extra R15.00 to the total of your competition entry fee to cover the bank’s deposit fee. If the entry fee is less than R35 and members pay R35, the difference will be accepted as a donation – Thank you!
If the fee is R35 and members pay less, your entry will be returned to you, without being judged.
• Individual critiques will accompany each returned entry.
Send proof of payment to the Competitions Manager.
• It must include a reference (first three letters of your surname + your initial and the month of entry, e.g. ZinC-Dec).
Competition Entry Form