The South African Writers’ Circle was started in 1960 by Fay Goldie, as the Durban Writer’s Circle. Owing to the increasing interest shown in our activities from outside Durban, our name was changed to ‘The South African Writers’ Circle’ in 1985.
The purpose of the South African Writers’ circle is to encourage and assist all writers, new and experienced, and to promote the art of creative writing in general.
There are numerous benefits in belonging to the SAWC.
- Members receive a 16-page e-mailed newsletter every month (excluding Jan) containing information on the general writing scene, markets and national and international competitions, book reviews and articles on writing techniques.
- The SAWC is the only association in South Africa which runs monthly competitions covering the whole spectrum of writing: novels, short stories, articles, poetry, plays, humour, children’s stories and science fiction. Professional writers judge these competitions and each entrant receives a critique on work submitted, whether they are prize-winners or not. Copies of the prize-winning entries are published in the monthly newsletter.
- A monthly meeting is held in Durban, each one with a guest speaker, discussing various aspects of writing, or holding workshops.
- Free promotion of your books on our Facebook page (with 1000+ members)
Would you like to join? If so, please complete the Application for Membership form and return it to the above address together with your subscription for one year. We look forward to welcoming you as a member.
If you have any further queries, please contact email@example.com
Membership Renewal Form
Please complete the form below. Please note the password being requested below is the password for the account you would have created when previously using the site. If you have not created a password previously, you can create a new one below.
Please note our financial year ends in December. If you are renewing your membership, please make sure that you do so in December/January.
For NEW members joining part-way through the year, the TREASURER will determine any pro-rating of the fees due.
The fees for January to December 2017 are as follows:
Single: R205 per annum
Couple: R270 per annum
- Pensioner (older than 60 years of age):
Single: R160 per annum
Couple: R210 per annum
R160 per annum
SAWC 2017 Fees by month
You may make a direct payment to the following account. It is imperative that you reference the payment with your initial and surname and inform us of the deposit:
- S.A. WRITERS’ CIRCLE
CURRENT A/C. NO. 250780119
HILLCREST BRANCH NO. 045726
- or send a cheque (which requires a R15.00 deposit fee) to:
SA Writers’ Circle
P O Box 51293