SAWC ANNUAL SHORT STORY COMPETITION
Rules and Guidelines
PLEASE NOTE: e-mail entries ONLY
GENRE: Short Story Fiction
WORD COUNT: 3000 words maximum
CLOSING DATE: 30 September
FEE: The entry fee is R60 for members of the South African Writers’ Circle, and R100 for non-members. You may submit more than one entry, each with the prescribed fee/s.
- All competition submissions must be in English.
- Entries may not exceed 3000 words.
- Entries must not have been previously published nor been placed in any competitions.
- The judge’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entertained.
- Entries will be judged on literary merit, use of imagination, and ability to enthrall.
- There is no age restriction to entrants; all entrants are judged in the same category.
- Entries must be double spaced.
- Provide a cover page for your entry. This must contain the title of the work, your pseudonym, and the number of words (excluding the cover page). The author’s actual name or address must not appear on the cover page or anywhere in the submitted work. Your name should only appear on the entry form (see below).
- Attach an entry form with each entry.
- All entries must be e-mailed to the Competitions Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* All payments must be by EFT (ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER). The SAWC can no longer accept cash deposits made at an ATM or at the bank.
* EFT payments must include a reference (minimum of the first three letters of your surname plus your first initial and identity of competition entered – ASS in this case (for example, SoaJ-ASS).
* A copy of the EFT payment or an emailed notification must accompany each entry.
- Winners will be announced on the SAWC website, Facebook, and in the SAWC Newsletter..
1st PRIZE: The Francis Bond Trophy, R1 000, your story published in the SAWC newsletter Write Now, SAWC pen and certificate
2nd PRIZE: R500, SAWC pen and certificate
3rd PRIZE: R250, SAWC pen and certificate
5 HIGHLY COMMENDED ENTRIES: SAWC pen and certificate
SA Writers’ Circle
Hillcrest Branch: 045726
Account Number: 250780119