The South African Writers’ Circle encourages and assists all writers, new and experienced, and promotes the art of creative writing in general.
There are numerous benefits in belonging to the SAWC.
- Members receive eleven newsletters per year, containing information on the general writing scene, national and international competitions, and articles on writing techniques.
- The SAWC is one of the few associations in South Africa which runs monthly competitions covering the whole spectrum of fiction, including novels, short stories, flash fiction, stories for children and young adults, poetry, plays and script-writing, humour, crime and mystery writing, romance, fantasy and science fiction as well as articles and essays.
All entries to competitions are anonymous, submitted under a pseudonym. SAWC judges therefore do not know the identity of any entrant. Entries are judged on professional criteria.
- We only accept entries in English.
- Each entrant receives a full critique of work submitted. The winning entry is published in the monthly newsletter.
- Monthly meetings are held on the third Saturday of the month at the Westville Library, Durban. Each meeting includes a guest speaker discussing various aspects of writing, followed by a workshop an d including bring-and-share refreshments.
- To join the SAWC, please complete the Membership Form. We look forward to welcoming you as a member. Our banking details are as follows:
S A Writers’ Circle
Hillcrest branch: 045726
Account number 250 780 119
Please make all payments online by EFT as the SAWC can no longer accept cash deposits made at the bank or via an ATM. All proof of payment (for subscriptions, competition entries, seminars, etc.) must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.